WHAT IS THE GOLD SNEAKER INITIATIVE? The Gold Sneaker Initiative enhances policy related to health and wellness within licensed child care facilities in Tennessee. Gold Sneaker consists of 9 policies which deal with physical activity, nutrition and a tobacco-free campus. Participation in Gold Sneaker is voluntary and FREE! Child care programs that implement the policies will earn a Gold Sneaker award and are designated a ‘Gold Sneaker’ child care facility. 2 hours of continuing education is awarded and recognized by the Department of Human Services.
HOW DOES GOLD SNEAKER BENEFIT MY FACILITY?
A Gold Sneaker designated facility will receive:
• an incentive package, with $200 worth of physical activity and nutrition resources
• a certificate signed by the Governor
• access to an electronic Gold Sneaker logo for parent letters, etc.
• two Gold Sneaker decals for your facility doors
• recognition on the Gold Sneaker web page, and
• a Gold Sneaker newsletter.
GOLD SNEAKER POLICIES
Gold Sneaker Facilities will:
• offer children at least 60 minutes of physical activity per day
• limit television and video viewing to 60 minutes per day of educational programs
• not allow children to remain sedentary or passive for more than 60 minutes continuously
• ensure physical activity is a positive experience
• ensure appropriate feeding patterns, including breastfeeding
• ensure appropriate feeding patterns, including adequate time for meal consumption
• ensure appropriate infant and child feeding patterns, including appropriate portion sizes
• promote a positive attitude toward food, and
To become a Gold Sneaker facility, please contact
Marcha E. Allen-Bradley, M.B.A.
Tobacco Risk Coordinator
Office (901) 222-9273
Fax (901) 222-9287